Sunday, September 21, 2014

Tiffin, Ohio

I come from a major metropolitan area.  People rush, they always think you are in the way, they don't work to build community much because they want to retire someplace else.  Bosses can be harsh and it is not uncommon to have an experience with a person who is being just plain rude.  Of course there are kind people, but they are sprinkled in like roses among weeds.

Out here in Tiffin, it is different.  People are decent almost as a rule.  The teller at the bank waived a fee for me the other day.  That doesn't happen where I come from.  A stranger I met in a café offered to introduce me to a woman he knew who had access to a horse stable, after I passingly mentioned I like to ride horses.  A faculty member in charge of my attendance at classes, and whom I have never personally met, sent me a get-well email after I came down with a stomach bug.  People from Ohio just typify that saying: "Midwest nice."  Now I know what it means.




Seneca County had its annual heritage festival and parade this weekend.  There were baton girls, and tractors--lots and lots of tractors.  The actual Budweiser Clydesdale horse team was present and it was a magnificent sight.  The sisters marched in the parade with a float to raise awareness about peacemaking in a conflict ridden world, and another one to highlight their work to help the victims of human trafficking.

Enjoy the photos.  Come visit us.

No comments:

Post a Comment