Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Nun Better

The sisters are all in a three-day meeting, and my classes (which I am teaching) at the University haven't begun yet, so this morning I was rattling around the house and the town by myself. 

I discovered a treadmill in the basement, which will be nice when we are snowed in and can't get out for a walk or over to the YMCA.  And another fridge, which was pretty well stocked with beer and a couple of bottles of wine.  Then I noticed a veritable bar on some shelving.  Someone here has a thing for Crème de Menthe and someone else enjoys her whiskey.  Not bad.  I am wondering if they will let me have a little cigar to go with that...

I had lunch, which is at noon and which is called dinner because it is the main meal--in the community dining room.  I sat with one very humble yet sharp sister who is the former "Community Minister," which they used to call the Mother superior.  Franciscans are pretty much opposed to hierarchy, and have gone back to this very Franciscan moniker. 

I told her how excited I was about the large garden, and commented that I had always wanted to cultivate grapes for wine production.  I explained that it would be nice for the community to have its own label.  Sister Jackie didn't miss a beat, just gave me a sideways glance and said, "We'll call it "Nun Better."

Honestly being an oenologist (go look it up, that is your vocabulary word for the day) would beat working in an office any day of the week.  I can't stand offices, and maybe that is why I have kind of run away from home. Too many offices in DC.

On another note, Pope Francis's nephew in Buenos Aires was in a car accident with his wife and two small children.  All were killed on the spot except for the nephew, who is badly injured.  Please remember all of them, including Francis, in your prayers tonight. ###

No comments:

Post a Comment